Quantec is an industry leader in R&D in ground geophysical methods and instrumentation. We are committed to the continuous improvement of existing survey methods, the development of new technologies, and finding new applications for existing methods. Quantec’s R&D efforts help to deliver cutting-edge, reliable, and cost-effective exploration solutions for our clients.
We take pride in our dedication to R&D investment, advancement and implementation. Exploring for and adapting better solutions for acquiring, processing or interpreting geophysical data, is a continuous commitment in Quantec!
Quantec’s R & D team has recently improved imaging and targeting capability for our clients by innovating in these areas of inversion:
- Joint MT and DC resistivity inversion is provided using codes developed by Dr. Wannamaker of the University of Utah. DC resistivity provides shallow resolution that may be augmented by the inherent 3d information of HF MT (AMT) and LF MT augments imaging at great depths. IP inversions are improved by referencing against the superior resistivity models.
- We have worked with Dr. Weerachai Siripunvaraporn to improve and enhance 3d MT inversion on our high performance servers using Dr. Siripunvaraporn’s codes. Areas of improvement include inclusion of topography, ability to include tipper and QA tools for preparation and reporting before, during and after inversion.
- 3d DC & IP inversion is performed at Quantec using at least three production codes including UBC, Loke and ERTLab. QA and QC tools have been developed for data preparation and model review.
- Built-Dipoles are created through vector summation of raw time-series and have many uses including for QC of Orion 3d data, to enhance depth of investigation and improve inversion and to enhance coupling in 3d inversion where diagonal dipoles may be used.
On the acquisition side, Quantec’s R & D team has recently implemented several innovative approaches and technology:
- Enhanced IP signal extraction in the presence of strong natural telluric noise. Quantec’s active Impedance technology requires only an off-line remote coil, while the MT-based telluric cancellation can also be performed.
- Stable-steel plate electrodes for environmentally responsible deployment, operational efficiency, and durability. The electrodes are stabilized though oxidation prior to use and have been proven equivalent to PbCl pots from HF to 100 seconds and are effective to 1000 seconds.
- Buffered-amplifier electrodes are available for high impedance environments such as permafrost, sandy eskers and the deep winter freeze.
The R&D team utilizes a state-of-the-art magnetically shielded calibration room. All of our coils are re-calibrated on a regular (annual) basis to ensure the most reliable and consistent data acquisition for every project. Our dual-sensor deployment for broadband data acquisition ensures that the highest sensitivity equipment is used for across the entire spectrum.
Magnetically quiet Calibration facility Titanium plate electrode